Sunday 2 November 2008

Cesc: I'd Be A Fab Skipper


he Gunners have been searching, with little success, for a stand-out captaincy candidate ever since Thierry Henry left the club in the summer of 2007.

Henry's fellow Frenchman, William Gallas, took over the role amid some controversy; Kolo Toure and Gilberto Silva, club stalwarts both, were thought to be well ahead of the ex-Chesea defender in the leadership chain.

The intervening season and a bit has not justified Wenger's curious decision. While Gallas' passion and commitment is beyond refute, his temper, ego and, of late, inconsistency have often proven detrimental to Arsenal's cause.

Fabregas may be only 21, but he has been part of the club's senior set-up for several seasons - and he is eager to lead the Gunners into a new golden era.

"I really want to achieve things with Arsenal — to win trophies and make history. That’s why I’m here," the Spaniard said in the News of the World.

"I’d love to be the captain, but whether I wear the armband or not, I’ll always give 100 per cent for the Arsenal fans."

No comments: